Mari Eckstein Gower lives, writes, makes art and gardens in Redmond, WA.
She graduated from Scripps College (BA in art and humanites) and Claremont Graduate University (MA in painting / photography). Afterward, she studied printmaking for two years in Montreal before moving back to California, where she began exhibiting her artwork in the U.S., Canada,and Germany.
Currently, Mari works in many art mediums including: Painting, Printmaking, Assemblage, Welding, Letterpress printing and Artist's Books.
She has the good fortune to have studied writing and illustration with truly inspiring teachers such as; Al Young, Bruce Coville, Jane Yolen, Ursula K. Le Guin, Marion Dane Bauer and Marla Frazee.
An award-winning graphic designer, she has had stories published in "Cricket" Magazine, and Bruce Coville's anthology, Alien Visitors.
LIBRARY SPECIAL COLLECTIONS
- Bainbridge Museum of Art, Bainbridge Island, WA
- Baylor University, Crouch Library
- Emory University
- Harvard University
- Ringling College of Art & Design, Kimbrough Library
- SCAD, Savannah Campus, Jen Library
- Scripps College, Dennison Library
- Stanford University, Green Library
- UCLA Biomedical Library
- UC Santa Cruiz, McHenry Library
- University of Denver, Penrose Library
- University of Oregon
- University of Puget Sound, Collins Library
- University of Washington, Allen Library
- Yale University
- PNBA Member's Exhibit — University of Puget Sound, Collins Library 2016
- Bridging the Waters — University of Bristol, Bristol, England, 2016
- Just One Look —University of Washington, Allen Library, 2016
- The Story Depends on the Teller — Pacific Lutheran University Gallery, 2016
- Wanderlust — 23 Sandy Gallery, 2016
- Unhinged: Book Art on the Cutting Edge — Watcom County Museum of Art, 2015 - 2016
- Blood Quantum — 23 Sandy Gallery, 2015
- Dirt? Scientists, Book Artists and Poets Reflect on Soil and Our Environment — 2015
- Carpe Librum — Bainbridge Island Art Gallery, 2015
- PNBA Member's Exhibit — University of Puget Sound, Collins Library 2015 (Juror's Award)
- Under the Wings of Artemis: The Crossroads of Scholarship and Art — University of Washington, 2014
- Sacred and Profane — 23 Sandy Gallery, 2014
- PNBA Member's Exhibit — University of Puget Sound, Collins Library 2014 (Curators' choice Award)
- The Book as Art — Art Institute of Atlanta/ Decatur, 2014
- Book Power Redux: Artist Books Addressing our Social, Political and Environmental World — traveling exhibit: 23 Sandy Gallery, and University of Puget Sound, Collins Library 2014
- Eco Editions — 23 Sandy Gallery, 2013
- PNBA Member's Exhibit — University of Puget Sound, Collins Library 2012